The government surveyor, George Evans, was the first European to sight the Bathurst Plains in 1813. Governor Macquarie approved the building of a road across the Blue Mountains from Emu Plains to Bathurst. This road was built over a 6 month period and completed in January 1815 by William Cox using 5 freeman, 30 convict labourers and 8 soldiers. Shortly thereafter, Governor Macquarie proclaimed the future town to be named Bathurst after the 3rd Earl Bathurst, Henry Bathurst.
In 2015 Bathurst celebrated 200 years since it was proclaimed a town by Governor Lachlan Macquarie who raised the Union Jack on the banks of the Macquarie River on 7th May 1815. A flagstaff was erected to celebrate the bicentenary on the banks of the river. This proclamation makes Bathurst Australia’s oldest inland colonial settlement.
There have been many celebrations during the year including displays by the indigenous owners, the Wiradjuri people. See some of the pictures depicting our celebrations.